Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Phantom I Fall in Love with

When I was in Form 2, I was compelled to accept Potato People as my Literature Component. It was an interesting though as reading is my thing, but as I flipped through the pages of my English textbook for the summary, I was attracted by the words, "The Phantom of the Opera". As curious as I could be, I searched for its information throughout the book, and I could not resist the urge to own the book by my own. But till today, still I have not get this book. 




The Phantom of the Opera by Jennifer Bassette is about a phantom named Erik who lived in an Opera House. It is 1880, in an Opera House in Paris, where people was talking about the Phantom of the Opera, the ghost that lived somewhere under the Opera House. The Phantom was a man in black clothes. He had a yellow face, no nose, and black holes for eyes. Everybody was afraid of the Phantom - the singers, the dancers, the directors, the stage workers. 

The phantom, Erik, blackmailed and threatened the people  who ran the opera. He made them feel very afraid of him. Later he even kidnapped Christine for his own selfish reasons. When he knew Christine's affection towards Raoul, he wanted to kill him. All these actions do not show good human qualities. However, he was not totally bad. In fact, he was a very interesting character. He owned the bad qualities, but he was also compassionate and considerate to people he loved, Christine. He did not torture Christine as we assumed so, as when he realized how much Christine loved Raoul, he released her.




Christine's life story was somewhat similar to the fairy tales. From childhood, her father, a talented musician had filled her soul with the view of the world that was found in folk stories. Her meeting with Raoul was somewhat destined when they were met again years later at the opera house. The innocence she carried into adulthood, caused her to fall victim to Erik. She was kindhearted as well. As she tried to protect her love, Raoul from being hurt by the Phantom, still she sympathized Erik. She did not fear Erik eventually, and she was the one who believed that Erik was not a bad person entirely.  






I must read this book to know more about Raoul. He seems to be the kind of guy women will fall for!

Heading to bookstore searching for this will not help, I believe. Just hope to find a copy of it, which fall from the sky! 
.



No comments:

Post a Comment